Labels

zaterdag 13 februari 2021

Roman en de trauma’s

 
Roman Polanski, Catherine Deneuve, en Gène Gutowski tijdens de opnames van Repulsion, 1965


Via Catherine kwam ik weer bij Roman. Het leven is één grote associatie. Iemand die “The pianist” kan maken kan geen slecht mens zijn. Niemand is een slecht mens, als je wat scherper in-zoomt.

Kids just accept reality as it is, because they have no way of comparing jit with anything else. I'm much more sensitive now to all this, having a child that goes through all these stages that I went through. She's now six: That's the age I was when the Germans walked into Poland. She's five: That's the age when my parents took me for the last holiday in the country. You see? She's seven: That's when I was running in and out of the ghetto through the hole in the barbed wire. I see it through her eyes, and it's only now that I realize that I was in harm's way. But at the time when I was a kid, no. The only tragic thing was the separation from my parents. This was something that made me cry, not that the food was bad, not that I had lice, not that there were fleas in the bed, not that there were bedbugs. And I think, you know, how tragic it would be for my daughter to go through that.

Citaat uit zijn autobiografie. Roman Polanski heeft veel meegemaakt. Als kind overleefde hij het getto van Krakau, waar ik enkele jaren geleden op zoek ging naar “Schindlers List”. Hij had geen psychologen nodig. Later werd zijn vrouw vermoord, Sharon. En nog steeds had hij geen psycholoog nodig.

En weer denk ik aan “The pianist”.

Wie zijn die mensen die figuren op het internet om Roman te veroordelen? Zichzelf moreel zo verheven te voelen? Iedereen worstelt met zijn eigen trauma’s. Iedereen veroorzaakt nieuwe. Wie is er beter dan een ander? Alles gebeurt achteraf. Alleen voor kinderen niet. En zelfs dat is niet zeker...


Roman en Sharon, 1968